Wednesday, May 14, 2008

SecuROM, The Sims 2, and Spore

Spore fansites everywhere, like Spore Universe and Spores Illustrated, posted this email last week by Caryl Shaw--aka MaxisLucky:

Hey Spore Fans -

We wanted to let you know that we've been hearing your concerns about the online authentication mentioned earlier this week. I didn't want to head into the weekend without getting back to you with some information about how Spore is planning on using this new system.

A few things we wanted you to know:

-- We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it the first time.

-- We'll re-authenticate when a player uses online features, downloads new content or a patch for their game.

-- The new system means you don't have to play with the disc in your computer. And if you are like me, always losing discs, this will be a huge benefit.

-- You'll still be able to install and play on multiple computers.

-- You can play offline.

We do hope that players will play online - sharing creatures, buildings and vehicles with other players is something that is unique to Spore and one of the coolest features of the game. Every day, when I play the Creature Stage, I get to see wacky and awesome new creatures from my Buddies on the team coming over the hill at me and I can't wait to see what happens when our creative, passionate community starts sharing their creations.

I'd love to write more - but I need to get back to work. We've got a game to finish. :-)

-caryl

===============================
caryl d shaw (aka MaxisLucky)
online producer
spore
What prompted that was a rumor on the Gaming Steve forum that SecuROM (which would be installed with Spore) had to do some kind of check online every 10 days or Spore would stop working. This was the case with Mass Effect.

On Friday, Shacknews posted an article that EA has responded to users complaints by removing the 10 day check requirement. But some users hate SecuROM so much, they have made a forum called SecuROM Must Be Destroyed, and they won't rest until it's no longer installed with EA products. Simmers should know that The Sims 2 products Bon Voyage, FreeTime, Deluxe, Double Deluxe, H&M Stuff, Teen Style Stuff, and Kitchen & Bath Stuff all install SecuROM. Spore will, and likely, The Sims 3 will, as well. If you feel strongly about the SecuROM issue, contact EA (support@ea.com) to let them know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I find the treatment of customers exhibited with securom distasteful.

The last thing any company needs to be doing is causing more hassle for its paying customers.

On a different note, I like the way your new blog looks, I hope everyone that enjoyed your wordpress blog makes the move over.

Ann Asher said...

Hi, Itwy!
Thanks, I'm glad you like the new blog.
I agree with you. I feel that the trend of punishing the customer for piracy has to stop. Whatever EA's goal is, I'm sure there's a better way to go about it.

 
Template design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster / Blog header by Sergej Gorodenskiy
Firefox 2